How to Save Money on Your Household Energy & Electricity Bill – Part 1, Washers & Dryers, Dishwashers, Fridges, Freezers and Ovens
By Christi Posner
Do you wish you could save money on your household electricity bill? Major appliances like washers, dryers, dishwashers, fridges, freezers, and ovens account for about 37% of the electricity used in your home. Believe it or not, there are many ways to save money on your hydro or energy bill, even if you’re renting! Even small savings with these big appliances will add up.
Electricity savings tips are everywhere, but they’re always the same old, same old. We’re not going to tell you to throw on a sweater or turn off your lights... you know that stuff already.
Easy DIY Electricity Savings – 5 Part Series
In this 5 part series with tips for saving electricity and money, we’re going to give you real, usable ways to save energy. That means more money in your pocket each month!
In the first part of this series, we will show you how to use your major appliances in a way that will save you big bucks. Here’s what you can expect in the rest of the series, coming soon:
Part 2: Saving on Your Household Electricity Bill with Heating & Cooling
Part 3: Tips to Save on Your Household Electricity Bill with Electronics & Lighting
Part 4: How Your Hydro Company Helps You to Save Energy & Money
Part 5: What To Do with the Money You’ve Saved on Household Bills
Tips to Use Your Washer, Dryer, Dishwasher, Fridge, Freezer, and Oven to Save You Money
If it feels like you don’t have control over your hydro, energy or electricity bills, even small changes will add up to save you some cash.A dollar saved on energy means a dollar more you have to apply to debt, spend, or invest. Here’s how to start making some changes:
Washer & Dryer – Save Money on Laundry
- Wash your clothes in cold water as often as you can. Almost 90% of the energy your washing machine uses is used for heating the water.
- After drying your clothes, immediately clean the lint trap every time to reduce energy use by 30%.
- Air-dry as often as possible. This not only make your clothes last longer, but it makes your money go farther!
Dishwasher – How It Can Help You Save Money on Your Electric Bill
- Does your dishwasher have an energy-saving cycle? Use it.
- Try the air-dry no-heat feature, or just open the door for air drying after the final rinse cycle.
- Reduce the number of times you use your dishwasher by making sure it’s full when you turn it on.
- Did you learn to pre-rinse your dishes before loading them? You’re heating water, using electricity, and adding to your heating bill. Most dishwashers can clean without pre-rinsing.
Fridge & Freezer – Cool Ways to Save Cold, Hard Cash; Use Your Appliances Efficiently
- Keep your freezer full to reduce the amount of electricity you use, but for your fridge, don’t overfill the it because it blocks air circulation and makes your refrigerator work harder.
- Do you really need that old fridge in the basement? It’s likely costing you $150-$250 or more per year in electricity to keep it on!
- Seals on your fridge and freezer can wear out over time. Try closing a five-dollar bill in the door; if it stays, so can the seal. If you can pull it out easily, it’s time to lock in the savings with a replacement seal.
Oven – Hot Savings for Your Electricity Bill
- Your oven is big; a toaster oven is small. Use a toaster oven to cook food whenever you can instead of your oven and you’ll cut your electricity consumption in half.
- Peek through the window - 20% of the heat is lost every time you open the oven door.
- When you do use your oven, cook a large portion. Not only will it give you left overs so that you can save money on eating out, it takes the same amount of electricity as cooking a smaller portion.
Saving Money on Your Household Energy & Electricity Bill is Easy
You can easily save money and energy on your household electricity bill by putting these tips into action. They are not hard to do, and don’t cost you any more than a couple of bucks, if anything at all. Share these tips with your partner, children and friends to help save money, electricity, and Mother Earth!
9 More Ways to Find Money to Save Each Month
How to Save on Cable Package, Cell Phone Bill, and Bank Fees
Get Help with Managing Your Bills
75 Ways to Save on Household Expenses - Free Webinar
Dawn replied on Permalink
Saving $ on Washers & Dryers
PC Richard & Son replied on Permalink
Saving Money on refrigator
How can I save ... replied on Permalink
How can I save electricity bill