Budgeting has gotten a bad reputation as something that is restrictive, boring and doesn’t work. However all that a budget is is a plan for your money based on your priorities and goals. Have you ever wondered why some people are so good with their money and others aren’t? Likely someone taught them how to manage their money so they can create the life they want. Most of us weren’t born knowing how to intuitively manage our money, our parents didn’t likely discuss money let alone teach us, and it wasn’t part of the curriculum when we were in school, so we learn by the school of hard knocks. However, here’s the good news - budgeting is a skill set that anyone can learn.
6 Easy Steps, Expert Guidance, & Lots of Ideas
You can learn how to budget your money. The great news is that we have broken down budgeting into 6 easy steps. In the Budgeting 101 workshop / webinar, you will learn how to:
- Identify your money values so you can make decisions that align with your values;
- Set SMART financial goals so that you can create a plan that includes the cost, time frame and how much your goal will cost you per paycheque;
- Understand the components of a budget (net income, expenses, and money for spending later);
- Identify what your personal reason is for being good with your money;
- Track your expenses so you never have to have that conversation in your head wondering where all of your money went this month;
- Plan and pay for irregular expenses like birthdays, Christmas, and car maintenance;
- Create an emergency savings plan for rainy days;
- Create and manage savings for goals like vacations and fun things; and
- Create a paycheque plan so NSF charges in your account are a thing of the past.
The budgeting webinar is completely free of charge (we're non-profit). It's 1 hour, interactive, and even fun! We take a “grab and go” approach – grab an idea or two and go try it. All participants will walk away with ideas, resources and the full curriculum upon request.
In the window below you can see the budgeting webinars that are coming up. Scroll down using the arrows on the right side of the window box to see more, or you can click here to see them on our webinar schedule page.
Related - More About How to Budget Your Money
If you can't wait for the webinar to begin, here are some related resources that you might find helpful in the meantime:
- Learn how to create a budget and budget your money
- Budget calculator worksheet that functions as a template and a smart guide
- Learn how to save money