You are here


Here is a copy of our most recent monthly e-mail newsletter. If you like what you see, check out the rest of this site or subscribe to the newsletter.


february 2017


learn how to make smarter choices with your money

5 Things You Can Do To Improve Your Credit Score

A really high credit score.While your credit score is just one piece of your overall financial picture, it can have a dramatic impact on your finances. The difference in borrowing costs for a person with a low versus a high credit score could be thousands of dollars in additional interest charges each year. If your score is low, it’s worth looking at ways to improve it, but not at any cost.

Don’t fall prey to the online ads from credit repair consultants that state they can improve your credit rating fast for a fee — they can’t. The reality is that you usually can’t improve your credit score fast; however, you can improve your credit rating and your credit score faster by following these five steps…


Dealing with Debt Doesn't Have to be an Uphill Battle

Someone struggling with debt, pushing it uphill.Debt has become part of how many people manage their finances, however not all ways of managing debt are created equal. Beyond the differences between “good” and “bad” debt are how we manage our debts. Knowing how to get the lowest interest rates, what our debt consolidation options are if we need them, or how much is too much debt are all part of looking out for your future and managing your debts wisely.

Even though debt is “normal,” it can (and should) be part of an overall money management strategy that helps you prepare for a debt free future. Here are ways to manage your money and reduce the weight of your debt as quickly as possible.


How to Make Your Spouse Feel Special & Still Keep Valentine's Day Affordable

Valentines day ideas to save you money.When you’re looking for ways to make Valentine’s Day special, throwing caution to the wind and going for broke, literally, could kill those lovin’ feelings when the bills roll in. There is a simple yet profoundly effective way for you to tell your significant other how much you love and care for them, and can actually save 80% of couples money. Even if you’re part of the remaining 20%, it has the potential to forever change your relationship for the better. Surprise your partner this Valentine's Day by trying this out.


How to Talk to Your Spouse About Setting Financial Goals

Couple talking about money and financial setting goals.Many say that your spouse is your most important financial decision, but what does that mean? Being on the same page when it comes to managing your monthly budget is only one part of communicating effectively with your partner about financial matters. Setting financial goals and planning for your future is a whole other story and one many couples tend to avoid.

If you want to start talking to your significant other about setting financial goals together, here are practical tips to get you started.


Two Dozen Tips to Save Money Grocery Shopping on a Budget

Saving money on groceries.Have you noticed how big a part of your overall budget is spent on groceries (and food)? Have you ever thought about what you can do differently to save money on grocery shopping?
Everyone is different; coupon clipping and meal planning might not work for you, but there are tips that will make it more affordable.

Here are two dozen ways to save money on groceries when you're shopping with a budget.


Live Workshops


If your organization or community group would like a workshop for your members, contact our Education Team.


Upcoming Webinars


Ending the Financial Feud - Couples & Money

 Mar 8, 2017


Raising Financially Fit Kids

 Feb 21, 2017

 Feb 22, 2017


Budgeting 101: 6 Easy Steps to Manage Your Money

 Feb 22, 2017

 Mar 16, 2017


Irregular Income

 Feb 27, 2017

 Mar 2, 2017


Budget Breakers

 Feb 25, 2017

 Mar 1, 2017


75 Ways to Save on Household Expenses

 Feb 9, 2017

 Feb 25, 2017


The Truth About Credit

  Feb 15, 2017

  Feb 27, 2017


Food & Finance

  Feb 23, 2017


Borrowing 101:

Financing Basics

  Mar 25, 2017


Cautious Consumerism

  Feb 16, 2017

  Mar 30, 2017


Retiring Without Debt

 Mar 22, 2017


Living Well on

Retirement Income

 Mar 20, 2017


More Webinars



Smart Money Quote


"A wise man should have money in his head, but not in his heart."

- Jonathan Swift




This newsletter and 

are educational outreaches of the Credit Counselling Society, a non-profit service.


To make a free appointment to speak with one of our money coaches call:




Don't Miss Our Top Tips Each Month - Sign Up for the Newsletter

To get our monthly newsletter delivered to your inbox each month, just provide us with your email address below.